Our Story

Congregational Churches are sometimes known as the "Church of the Pilgrims" after the small congregations of the early 1600's.

The people of these congregations moved from England to the new world in pursuit of religious freedom. From them, we inherited a wonderful spiritual heritage, one that is uniquely suited to our contemporary world. 

In 1834 this was the pioneer settlement of Barry in an area then populated by Indians, bears, wolves and panthers. Nearby Jackson had only a dozen buildings. In January 1835, three years before Michigan became a state of the Union, this fellowship was officially chartered as the Congregational Church of Barry and Reverend Jason Park was its founding minister. 


The church was reorganized as the Sandstone Union Congregational Church on March 4, 1869. 

church.jpg